Renovation Quick Facts
- 40,000+ sq ft of Center meeting space -- 3,200 person total capacity
- Respond to Conference Center customer needs for more flexible and usable meeting space (large rooms can be easily reconfigured; separate events can be simultaneously held in Center, etc.), upgraded technology and systems, modernized building that meets ADA requirements, LEED certified
- $60 Million renovation project -- 100% funded by City of Monterey hotels & motels through Conference Center Facilities District (CCFD) bonds (3.95% rate)
- Groundbreaking in early December 2015; grand reopening Jan. 2018.
- Portola Plaza upgrade in 2016, funded by CCFD, City General and Parking Funds
"We value our visitors. We are open during construction and we are going to take care of our group customers during the remodel. Then, when they come back,our meeting planners and attendees are going to be so pleased with our new conference center."
Mayor Clyde Roberson
THE HOTELIERS - VISITOR ACCOMMODATION FACILITIES (VAF)
In February 2014, VAF owners voted to authorize City Council to levy a special tax and to issue debt to finance the rehabilitation and upgrade of the Monterey Conference Center (MCC). As established in the Rate and Method of Apportionment (the "RMA"), the special tax became effective July 1, 2014 and is known as the Conference Center Facilities District (CCFD).
Visitor Accommodation Facility (as defined by Chapter 35, Article 3, Section 35-10 of City code): Any building, portion of any building, or group of buildings in which there are guest rooms or suites, including housekeeping units for transient guests, where lodging with or without meals is provided. This definition excludes Vacation Time-Share Facilities.
The Monterey Conference Center is a downtown icon in Monterey. Many local events are held there each year, and many residents and businesses enjoy and benefit from these events. The Monterey Conference Center has a long history in downtown. The community is known for it's hospitality, thanks to the people who live and work here.